Monday 15 May 2017

Hand-to-paw combat and German Beer in the rain

 Hello!

So a lot has happened since my trip to Japan in January. I wasn't happy at my school and was getting constant negative feedback from my boss. She actually gave me an official warning of poor performance because students complained that my classes were boring…. So I quit in March and found a new school to work at starting in April! I've been working at my new school for just over a month now and it's been great!! The kids are lovely and my co-workers are very nice. It's a  more established academy and has more advanced students and more middle school classes, which I love to teach. Younger kids are cute and can be fun… but I really love it when they get to the age where you can tease them and if you leave them alone in the room for more than 30 seconds, you don’t find them hiding under desks or running wild around the room!!
I have one middle school student who tries to secretly study vocabulary under his desk while I teach… I have to CONFISCATE HIS VOCABULARY BOOK EVERY CLASS because we won't stop studying… rebel…
The new school is located in a more centralised area of Busan, so I can go places before work and I run into other foreigners!! I also live closer to my Korean friend SeongJune, so we meet for coffee or food before or after work. This has made me feel way less isolated and alone over here :) Things are looking up!

Last week was Buddha's birthday and Children's day, so I had a few days off work! SeongJune and I took a trip up to Mount Jiri for a few days. On the way up, we stopped in at Ssanggyesa temple 쌍계사 and the Choi Champandaek 최참판댁 property
Ssanggyesa temple was colorfully decorated for Buddha's birthday and there were a fair amount of people there for the celebration! You could pay to hang a lantern with your name on it, either for a day or for a year. I'm assuming it's supposed to give you good luck. 

The temple was originally constructed in the Silla Era, but was burnt down during the Japanese invasion in the 1500s and was later rebuilt. The temple area is made up of many separate buildings. After entering through the main gate, there are many different staircases that lead to different temple buildings. Most of the buildings look pretty much the same, with similar designs painted on the outside and the interior. I don't know if each building has a unique purpose, or if you just get to choose where you want to pray that day… The temples don't usually come with instructions (at least not in English).

The Choi Champandaek property used to be owned by one of the wealthier Korean families (the Choi family, in case that wasn't obvious from the name). The property, like the temple, was also made up of many out-laying buildings, each with its own purpose. It's all located on a mountain side and has a beautiful view of the surrounding area. On one section of the property, they had live chickens and a cow.  Apparently Koreans are a little skittish around farm animals. A few people were carefully holding up long pieces of grass for the cow to eat, but were being careful not to let it get too close to their hands. To SeongJune's surprise, I casually started petting the cow's face and talking to it as if it were a dog… He later told me that that was a very Canadian thing for me to do.

We then drove up to Uisin 의신 and stayed in a MinBak 민박 which is a small, one-room accommodation. We had one room with a heated floor to sleep on. The Minbak provides sleeping mats, pillows and blankets to lay out on the floor. We also had a kitchenette with a gas stove top, sink, rice cooker (of course) and mini-fridge.

The first night we had them set up a Korean BBQ grill for us and we cooked pork and vegetables for our dinner :) We soon noticed that our dinner was attracting the resident cats… so we tried to make friends with them by throwing small pieces of meat to them. They were quite wary of us and wouldn't get close enough to touch. We had to re-throw a few pieces of meat that were apparently too close to the door for them to risk grabbing.

The next day, we drove to the entrance to a hiking trail on Mount Jiri 지리산.  We hiked 5 km up and 5 km down the side of the mountain (It took us about 5 hours. At the turn-around point at the top, there was a meeting area where multiple trails merged together. The meeting area had a building with a resting room, washrooms and a picnic area where you could sit and rest. As we sat eating our sandwiches ( my friend had never made sandwiches before and photographed the process), I watched as many different groups of hikers pulled out their camp stoves and their instant ramyeon packages. I thought this was a strange choice, since they were all day hikers… Who brings a stove on a day hike?!  There are so many more convenient foods to bring for lunch that don't involve boiling water!!!! Most of the people hiking had large packs with them (the kind you would take if you were planning on backpacking for a month)… What was in them aside from their instant noodles and their stove, I can only guess. My friend says that it is normal for Koreans to always carry large hiking bags with them when they hike… maybe half of it is full of kimchi… in case they get lost in the woods and need something to survive on. Hahahahahahaha.



The only wildlife we saw on our hike were chipmunks… We were warned of a bear and they had bear signs posted along the trail… but no such luck. SeongJune was concerned about a bear and asked me if I knew how to "fight off the bear"… so maybe it was a good thing we didn't run into the bear, because apparently my friends thought we should engage it in hand-to-paw combat to save our lives.

That night, we chose to watch Revenant, which seemed fitting for the end of our day of hiking. 

The next day we drove down to Namhae Island 남해, which is a popular vacation destination. We decided to spend our day in the German village there. Unfortunately, it rained all day, which put a bit of a damper on our afternoon. Despite the rain, the village was crowded and it took about an hour to find a parking spot. It was about 2pm by the time we got out of the car and we were ready to eat!! I was looking forward to a good sausage and mashed potatoes… but we were misinformed about the restaurant options and ended up at a Korean buffet for lunch instead. We then walked up and down the street for a bit in the rain before taking semi-refuge in a pub. The café/pub was so full of people that we ended up sitting outside under a parasol.  Haha… I got a nice German beer, which I promptly spilt all over the table. Sadness… We then called it quits and drove back to Busan. 

All-in-all a great long weekend :)

No comments:

Post a Comment