Sunday 4 October 2015

Working Hard, or Hardly Working

So I realized that I haven't posted about my job since I started teaching.  In general it's going quite well.  The most difficult part is actually inputting the marks and homework into the computer system properly.  Luckily, the other teachers have been very patient at explaining how it should be done and are quite forgiving when they find mistakes. 

As I probably mentioned in one of my earlier posts, the foreign teachers conduct the listening, speaking and writing classes while our Korean co-teachers teach Grammar and reading. We also assign Speaking Recordings (they have short English phrases that they repeat three times) and Dictation homework for them to do on their own time.  They also write Journals and short essays that they hand in to us every week for marking.

During a listening class, we play the students a recording of an excerpt of a conversation or a lecture.  The students have workbooks that ask specific questions about the listening that they then have to answer.  The topics from the lectures vary from Biology, Geology, Psychology… and everything in between and beyond.  Before we play the listening, we go through new vocabulary with the students and introduce the topic.  Needless to say, I will be very good at trivia games by the end of this year.  They're so random! And complex! I have to research some of the topics before class to make sure that I understand the material! … It's certainly an interesting approach to teaching a language, though I guess it is not much different than when I was taking courses in French when I was in school; the main difference being that we would stick to a subject for a while before moving on to something completely different, whereas here, they have 20 minutes.  Luckily, beyond that twenty minutes, they are not expected to remember the lecture material, only the vocabulary from it.

The writing classes and speaking classes are very similar to each other in many ways.  The students are assigned a topic to write about and in class, we check what they've written, talk about the subject as a group, then get them to speak about the topic individually without their notes (unless I forget to take them away before starting). Obviously, we focus more on the written aspect in the writing period and vice versa in the speaking, but the main idea is the same.  We try to get them speaking with us as much as possible, since they only see us for 40 minutes, twice a week.

I have come to the conclusion that Korean students are not very different from Canadian students when it comes to behavior during class.  You have the quiet, the studious ones, the class clowns, the student who never does his homework, the student who falls asleep in the middle of class, etc.  The main difference being that these kids are enrolled in multiple academies outside of their regular school. I asked one of my classes how many Hagwons they go to and some listed off about 6, including, Math, Science, English, Japanese, Art, and Music… all on top of their normal day of school. That's crazy! Though I guess it's not much different from when we have piano lessons, dance lessons etc., though the Korean system seems a little less free and a lot more formal (?). I don't know!


I currently teach 4-5 classes a day, which gives me a few free periods to prepare for the next classes and, eventually, do some marking.  I haven't done much marking yet because the older students are in exams right now and we don't assign homework until they're finished.  For the same reason, most of my older classes had only one student in them, if there was anyone at all.  Because of all this, I have had more free time than usual while at work, and very little to do during that time. The pace should pick up over the following weeks, but for now, it is quite boring. 

No comments:

Post a Comment